Tuesday, March 11, 2008

214?

This morning I clicked on to runnersworld.com and read about a girl who ran a 214 mile week. 214 miles. In a week. Oh my word. I'm always impressed when I read about a BRF who does a 100+ week, but 214! That's an average of 30.5 miles a day. For seven days. I'm still mind-boggled by this. I can't even imagine 214 in a week.

But, the article does say to print out a copy of it and stick it in a prominent place to look at when you are tempted to skip your post-work 5-miler. So, as much as I was sitting at my desk thinking I was worn out from the work day, I thought of that girl and went for a run.

I don't know what's happening. Today the conditions were perfect for a run, but I felt pretty blah. PD (post-Disney) I was running maybe one time a week. Last week I finally decided to get back in the groove and kick it back up to three days a week minimum and I feel like the first mile is always a struggle. It's wierd. I feel like I'm starting to run all over again and I don't like it. I want my happy runs back. I want my "wow, that was great" feeling to return. I know I have to have patience, but in this case I'm finding it difficult to be patient.

4 comments:

Hayley said...

Wow.....That's, like, a little more than 8 marathons in a week...that is pretty insane, but I guess for people like that, running is their whole life...I wonder how many pairs of shoes that girl goes through in a year???

I'm the last person in the world to be telling you to be patient. I'm extremely impatient (but I'm getting better...). All I've heard though is that it typically takes a long time after a marathon, especially after the first one, to get back in gear.

Keep up the hard work and I'll see you this weekend for some hard core, no excuses, major chill out time!!! :D Yea for cocoa and LOTR and Pirates and everything else! Oh yeah, and then after that we'll get a run in. :D Can't wait for Friday!!

Bill Carter said...

Hi Andria

You will definitely get it back.. it just takes some time. There is a natural letdown after a race that you trained so long and so hard for. Disney was an amazing experience and of course your first marathon is extra special, but you will find your inspiration and you will tear it up in Okie.

Best of luck with that training.. when the time is right.

zanne said...

wish i had patience to spare & share with you. but mine is all gone. this is the worst part - the whole post marathon thing. it does pass - when it wants to ... not always on your schedule, but the funk will pass, the good runs will be back. i should take my own advice.

Nancy said...

It will come back. When you're slow like me, patience is about all you do have. :P