Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"Don't stop then"

I've started getting back on track with my running. Since Disney I've really only been running once a week because my legs no longer trust me. They say to me when I start running "oh, no lady. You're not tricking us again. It took us a week to recover the last time you did this, so you better take it easy with us this time." Okay, so I've been babying them. I have been doing other workouts, but my legs just needed a running break.

Then last week the weather turned not so cold and pretty sunshiny for February so I got out there and ran. Granted, I did just do some short runs, but they felt great. I'm planning on doing the Oklahoma City half marathon with my brother B at the end of April, so I 'm kicking it in to high gear again.

Here's a question for any techies out there. I have an ipod shuffle and I love to run to the "podrunner podcast." If you haven't downloaded one you should. You can find it on itunes. The music is based on beats per minute and it really helps me maintain a certain pace. Plus he's started doing ones for interval training which I haven't listened to yet, but I'm itching to.

My question is, how can I get a podcast onto my shuffle. I've tried making a playlist with just a few of the podcasts, but it won't transfer to the shuffle. Anyone out there know how to do this?

Oh, and on my run on Friday, I had a nice moment. I was doing my 2.5 mile out and back and I passed these two ladies on the out part. I said hello and kept on running. When I turned around and started back, a little ways down I caught up to them. I was running in the same direction as them and on the other side of the road where they were walking so that I could run on the pavement (and not the nasty concrete sidewalks that this town has). One of the women shouted to me across the road "look at you, you just keep running and don't stop. That's so great!"

It was so cute. It was totally something my mom would say to someone running. I'm sure she had a conversation like that with someone sitting near her in the stands at Disney as the runner's crossed the finish lines. "Just look at all those people, amazing!"

I shouted back that I was training for the OKC half and she said, "well then don't stop." It was pretty great.

9 comments:

SargeInNorman said...

That's a great moment! Gotta love the simple things, they help make the more complex things even more worth it. Can't wait for the OKC half.

Hayley said...

Those ladies are so sweet! Inspiration like that is always great. And that is totally something either of our mom's would say. :D

Tracie said...

Everything in life is mind over matter - sure you have to be in shape and train but if your mind isn't in the right place then it doesn't matter how much you've trained and those women knew that the "warm fuzzy" of running is just as important as the training itself.

Stuart said...

It's super nice when something like that happens.

Bill Carter said...

Hi Andria

After a marathon, you really do have to kind of ease yourself back into things. After I ran my first marathon in 2003, it took me a whole year to get up the courage to run another.

I think it is funny because you still seem surprised that people view you as a runner. When you are out there running you are no different than anybody else.. you and I are both runners and I would challenge anybody to say different.

Best of luck (as always) with your training.

Nancy said...

I've had similar old lady run ins. Isn't it great? I think they thought I was a queen or something. Great confidence booster.

Sorry no help with pod casts. :P

zanne said...

i love the random comments from strangers that just keep you going!

What Me Run? said...

Random comments from strangers keep me going. You all mentioned that it was great to GET encouragement from strangers. Now, I challenge each of you to go out and GIVE encouragement to a stranger this week. It feels good to give it as well as get it.

What Me Run? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.