Thursday, March 20, 2008

Zoos and Burpees

Have I mentioned that I love Gary? Last night he took me for a little jaunt to the zoo. Turns out the zoo is almost a mile from the house and then if you run around it and back you can make a nice little 2.5 mile run and check out the buffalo and peacocks along the way. Much better than running by dogs not on leashes.

Today I woke up thinking I had to cross train. I wake up every morning thinking I should cross train and then around 4pm I start thinking "oh, but I really should just run. Isn't that what a marathon consists of? Why should I cross train?" And then I always go out and run. I almost feel into that trap today. I started checking in with some BRFs and the thoughts started coming in.

I went to Toronto Dave's website and he now has voice posts about his runs. He also has a video blog post. How freakin cool is that?! Funny. I knew he was British but somehow when I read his posts I always read them with an American accent. Pretty cool to hear him talking about his run with the cool accent. I wish my accent was that cool. The only thing I'm told is that people can tell when I'm mad because I start talking with a Boston accent.

As much as listening to Toronto Dave talk about his runs made me want to go run, his accent also reminded me of a kick box bootcamp workout video that I have that I sometimes like. The instructor is from Australia - and yes, I know they are not the same accents, but Dave's voice made me think of the video. So, I finally cross trained. I'm pretty happy with it because you use weights so I got some new work for my muscles. But near the end of the video she has us do these things called Burpees. I think most of you may know them as squat thrusts. Neither of those names really appeal to me.

The one problem I have with the Burpees is that after about 5 of them I start laughing so hard I can't stop and then I have to stop doing the dang things because they are pretty much impossible to do when you are laughing like an idiot. It was a fun workout anyway. It wasn't running, but now I can wake up and not have to think about cross training for a few days. Plus, I think Gary missed me today.

8 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

I wish I could see buffalo and peacocks on my runs!

Kristen said...

I finally caught up on your blog - I still can't believe you ran a marathon! 26 miles!!??!! That is amazing! I'm SOOO proud of you. Maybe I'll join you when you do Boston. (hopefully it won't be too soon.) ;-) Keep up the great work!!!

Jamie said...

See Gary is opening you up to new things like peacocks! Congrats getting the cross training done. It is just as important as the actual running when training for a marathon!

What Me Run? said...

You don't like the names Burpees or Squat-thrusts, but you like Fartleks? You are your Dad's daugher.

Nancy said...

Sounds like great scenery.

Whenever you say Gary I think of Spongebob, isn't Gary his pet snail? So now your voice is sounding like Spongy in my head :D

Ken said...

How are your weekly/monthly totals looking? Are you dawnloading them from Gary?

Tracie said...

You're lucky in the whole Burpee area - in my job another name for burpees are 8 count body builders and they involve push-ups and squatting and all kinds of miserable things that hurt and you still feel a week later after only doing 5 of them. You're doing awesome staying motivated - but you have to admit that it is easier to stay motivated when you have fun new toys like Gary. Keep it up!!

Pokey said...

Hey Andria!! I'm a bit behind, but congrats on your marathon finish!!!! AWESOME!

Looking for a new challenge for next year? Would LOVE to have you!

http://slowpokerunnergirl.blogspot.com/2008/04/american-odyssey-relay-run.html