Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ranting and Raving

I spent a good part of my day yesterday reading running stuff - blogs, magazines, books. Reading about running is great motivation for me and so by 6pm I was ready for a run. It hadn't warmed up very much yesterday and I wanted to get the run in before the sun went down so I started off way faster than I should have. Plus, I ate lunch too late so the start was pretty uncomfortable. But once I got in to the groove it went okay.

I was pretty psyched up after the run and started reading Running Times after the shower. There were a ton of stories about women training for the Olympics and how they run 2x a day, and about 13 times a week. I felt like such a whimp with my 3-4 times a week running! So I went to bed dreaming of intense training sessions and when I woke up this morning I set out to go for an early run.

Uh, Andria, just to let you know, you're not in training for the Olympics, not even Boston (yet), so that may not have been such a good idea. The run this morning was definitely hard, but I figured I'd take it slow. Thanks to some dogs on the road, that didn't happen. I was going to go out and back, but when I went to turn around and head back I saw I was being followed by two dogs. They were still a bit behind me, so I turned around and kept going the other direction and sped it up quite a bit. The run ended up being longer and faster than I wanted it to, and I guess that's not such a bad thing. Okay, maybe I won't be mad at the dogs since they got me to do a better run than I was expecting. But still, leashes people!!!

Rant over.

A few weeks ago when I went to visit my brother and sis-in law in Oklahoma, H and I went on a quest to find a good running bra. Nancy had mentioned one time that she had an Enell bra and that she loved it, so I figured we'd go find those. I won't go into detail about the shopping trip (but if you want to read an account of it, check out H's summary.) What I will go in to detail about is how much I love this piece of running equipment!

I'm fairly... ample... in that area and it's hard to find something that is comfortable and can keep the girls in line. These bras are expensive, but they are worth every penny. I'll admit it took me about 5 runs to get used to it. I've been wearing crappy running bras not really made for someone my size to run in, it impacted the way I ran. I would adjust my arm swing in order to minimize bounce. When I started wearing the Enell it almost felt wierd that the girls just didn't move at all. It took some gettting used to, but now I feel like I run a bit more naturally and more effeciently. The back has this criss-cross that really makes your back feel supported and helps me to have better posture, so I feel like I'm breathing better too. It's pretty neat.

Plus, they hook up the front so it's not such a struggle to get into as the more conventional type sports bras. These are definitely not the most attractive pieces, but they work great! For us girls, this equipment is just as important as the shoes, so I definitely will be getting me more of these in the future.

Okay, rave over.

8 comments:

Marcy said...

Oooooo girl you wanna trade? I was telling Laura the other day that I just needed 2 bandaids and some tissue underneath (you know to stop the flap sound LOL) I'd love some boobs LOL

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

My ladies and I are big fans of the Fiona bra from Moving Comfort. Love it so much I fish it out of the hamper on running days if I don't have one clean!

(Now I'm wondering if I should have really shared that info...)

Ken said...

I do not have too many comments on the bra..........however we have made our D'land hotel reservations! I was out of the loop this weekend with a 102 fever and could not run. I did manage to drop about 5 lbs due to the ilness. So there is some good news!

SargeInNorman said...

Thanks for sparing me the bra story again. It was a great weekend visiting, but a bit more bra talk than I needed to know. Just kidding. Looking forward to running up your way this weekend. See you Friday.

Hayley said...

Stinkin pets not being on leashes! But yea for awesome bras!! I love my Enell too, it really is great. Can't wait to see you!! :D

Nancy said...

I think I should start charging Enell for all the business. :D :D

ARen't they fantastic? Almost unbelievable. It feels like a straightjacket but who cares. We are running like the girls with small boobs!! YAAAHHOOOOOO.

Careful on the mileage increases. :D We don't want you to end up hurt or burned out.

Nancy said...

Oh ya, you should read Laura N's review of her Enell. It is hilarious.

http://lauramarie36.blogspot.com/2008/03/1534-enell-bra-review.html

What Me Run? said...

I agree about the Enell - it is great. I can't do a run without it now. My daily bra just doesn't cut it for even walking the dog now that I know what there is. But, like you said, it isn't the prettiest, so not something to wear all day.

I like that on the Enell website there is a section with instructions on how to put the bra on correctly. And, yes, it is good to have those instructions.

Lastly, (and I commented on another blog about this) - It has lots of hooks. When growing up, you knew you were "growing" by how many hooks your bra had. An "A" cup was one hook and we called it a one-hooker, "B" & "C" 's were two-hookers... When I was breast feeding I was impressed that I needed a five-hooker. Now that I am a runner, I need an eleven-hooker. =)