Wednesday, August 29, 2007

About shoes (again)

It seems like all I do is talk about shoes these days, but I have a question. Now that I have a pair of shoes that are properly fitted to my feet, do I only wear those or do I still alternate? I have two other pair of shoes from before my trip to the running store. One pair was my favorite and the other pair I just didn't know why I didn't like to run in them. Now that I know what the shoe should be like, the pair that was my favorite has support (though less than the new pair) where it should for my foot. The pair that I wasn't comfortable with has no support at all where my foot needs it, so now I know why it didn't work. And those are officially no longer going on my feet for a run.

So the question is, do I stick with the old pair that is medium support and alternate it with the new shoes until I get another pair of new shoes? Or do I just wear the new shoes and by the time I buy another pair of those they'll be broken in and ready for a rest on alternating days? I'm running 4 days a week, so they mostly will have a day to bounce back, except for one time a week I'll wear them twice in a row. Or is that the only day I should use the old shoes so that the new ones will always have a rest day in between runs?

Seems like I should know the answer to this, but I figured I'd ask you out there who have more experience.

7 comments:

Bill Carter said...

Andria

I think I know what you are thinking.. "God, I hate to waste a perfectly good pair of shoes." But you have to at least in regard to your running. You have this awesome new pair that has your feet in foot heaven and I don't think you should jeopardize that. You can use the two old pairs however you want... walking, biking, smacking bugs, whatever. But don't let them mess up your happy feet. I go through about 6 pairs a year and am always rotating 2 at a time. It is expensive, but it is one of my few splurges and worth it. You know you need to bite the bullet and just go buy another pair. Your feet will thank you.

Bill

Andria said...

I am planning on getting another pair next time I go up to the "big city" of Topeka, or maybe when I go to visit my sister-in-law near Oklahoma City. It's definitely worth the money because my feet are happy. I may try to get another pair on-line.

As for the old shoes, bug smacking sounds about right. There's a lot of spiders this time of year just waiting to get smacked!

Bill Carter said...

Not to stalk your blog, but.... I have bought probably my last 3 years worth of shoes online from telarunner.com. I have received awesome customer service and prices that were quite alot lower than my local running shop. I hate to not give them the business (the local guys), but shoes get really expensive and I buy in bulk (3 at a time). Try 'em out if they have what you want.

Bill

Anonymous said...

No comment about shoes. Just to let you know how proud I am of you, Andria!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have only ever had one pair for running. I have never alternated.

So I am not qualified to give advice on this subject. I wear my to between the 400-500 mile mark and then buy a new pair.

Andria said...

No worries about blog stalking! I am ready for all advice. That's part of why I started it.

Ken said...

I need a good motion control shoe. I ran for a couple of years in Saucony Grid Hurricanes and found them to be O.K They were more of a stablility shoe than a motion control shoe. I have had flare ups of plantar fasciitis in the past and it is nothing nice. my inependent research has confirmed that Brooks Beast are the best for me. I rotate 2 pairs. I'll by another pair about a month out from Disney and run in them 4 or 5 times before the big day.