Friday, August 31, 2007

Dirt running

When I woke up this morning it was about 60 degrees! I was so tempted to roll over and go back to sleep because it hasn't been that cool here since about April. I did snooze a few times extra, but then got out of bed and hit the road.

It felt odd running this morning. I probably should have worn pants instead of shorts and I think I started too fast because by the time I hit the first turn I was tired. I made it home, didn't break any records, but I felt good that I did it. That's the important part.

One thing that may have hurt my time was that on the second leg I tried something different. See, I've read about the different running surfaces and how concrete is basically "poison for your legs." Unfortunately the sidewalks here are all concrete and on the road there is about a foot and a half border on the side of the asphalt of concrete, so that if I wanted to run on the asphalt, I would be running in the middle of the road.

The other day I was thinking that I could run on the grass in between the sidewalk and the road, but this time of year, since it's so dry, they let it get pretty long, so it's really not good for running. Today as I ran, I noticed that on one part they had dug up all the grass and it was now dirt. So I thought, why not run in the dirt - any bit helps right? It felt wierd running on the dirt when you've been running on concrete or on the track. It felt like I had to lift my foot higher as I was running. It was dry, so it wasn't muddy, but it wasn't really packed down either. So, I think this little adventure slowed my run down. But, I'd much rather sacrifice time for happier legs!

5 comments:

Bill Carter said...

Andria

I think it is great to try and run on different surfaces, even though the loose dirt almost certainly did slow you down. I do some of my runs on a hard packed dirt trail, some on pavement,a few on concrete, and a whole bunch on the treadmill. I think in the long run it is easier on your body because all these different surfaces stress your body in different ways. That said, you do need to be careful when running on dirt or grass. All it takes is one hole to twist an ankle or a knee and there goes that fall marathon... I do know a good lawyer if you need one (jk).

Could I ask you where you found your countdown timer? I can't seem to find one that works...I mean I am sure all the timers work, but I am obviously computer incompetent and they don't work for me.

Thanks, Bill

Andria said...

Above the timer it says "powered by jogblog". Hit where it says jogblog and you will go to a different site. Near the top of that page there is a list of places to go. Hit "other stuff" and it will take you to the page where you'll enter the info and it will give you a code. Copy the code.

Now go to your blog dashboard and hit customize and in the "add a page element" it will give you an option to add HTML. Put the code in there and you should see the timer. I'm not real computer saavy either, but you can do this. It's not beyond our computer knowledge. Haha!

Bill Carter said...

Thanks Andria.

You rule.

Bill

Running Ragged said...

What I would give to be able to run in 60 degree weather!

I noticed that when I run on dirt or grass I tire out more easily as well. Maybe once I get the first marathon under my belt I'll venture out and try some trail running, that does sound like a lot of fun.

RunToTheFinish said...

I too am relegated to sidewalks for running around here.. I've attempted running in the grass next to the sidewalk and generally end up with a rolled ankle or something else equally unpleasant. For me, I've had to throw in treadmill runs to lessen the impact on my legs and keep me going.

Sounds like you are well on your way though!!