Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Trying to fit it all in.

My mom recently purchased a book for me from a used book store. It's a book about women's running co-authored by Joan Benoit Samuelson. Name sound familiar? If not, it should. I was born and raised in Maine, which happens to be where she is from. She is a distance runner and has held a ton of records in her career. Even won a gold medal in the marathon in the Olympics. I grew up watching her career and her accomplishments. It was amazing for a woman running in the 80's to do what she did.

The book is from 1995, but one thing that is neat about reading it is that running really doesn't change. Sure there are some things she talks about that are a bit different, and some things she doesn't talk about, but most of the advice is really great. She's so practical - really there is nothing she doesn't cover.

One thing she talks about is the progression of how you think of yourself. When you start running, you are someone who runs. After a while you gain consistency and become a runner. Then you start to want to compete and you become an athlete. I think at this point I think of myself as a runner, but maybe some day I'll become an athlete.

Also, she talks about fitting her runs in. Run to work and just carry a wet washcloth to clean up once you get there. (Made me think of Bill at Jury Duty.) Or running to the airport and having hubby pick her up on the way and cleaning up before her flight. So, in the spirit of "just fitting it in when I can" I'm going to do a random run today.

My car is in the shop (some clutch thing, but it's under warranty) and I knew I'd have to leave it there. I brought my running gear to the office. The van dropped me off at work early and I just now got the phone call that he is ready (the car's name is Fujita - it's an FJ cruiser. What other name could he have! LOL). So, I'm going to run to the dealer. It's almost lunch anyway, so I'm just skipping out a bit early. It's about 2.5 miles, nothing too long, but it'll be good to sneak a run in.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

good for you fitting in your runs when you can!

My car's name is Libby and my friend car is Berty. They are both Jeep Liberty's so it totally works :) Every car should have a name!

Andria said...

That is awesome!!! My first car's name was Lola. She was a Carolla. I agree. All cars should have names.

Pokey said...

Great job getting the run in!

I might need to check out that book, too.

Marcy said...

I don't think I've named my car. Geez and I name everything LOL

That is awesome getting your run in when you can!! Good stuff chica!!

Bill Carter said...

This is a really great post Andria! I think that in today's busy society and us not being on Venus and all, we have to do whatever we can to make best use of our time. I think that is is really great that you have become so dedicated to your running that it now seems to figure into everyting you do. I am of course biased, but I believe that it makes us healthier both physically and mentally. Btw, sounds like a great book and I will see if I can get it online. Your Disney is going to come up fast so keep up that training.

Lori said...

That book sounds awesome! And that is such a great idea about making excuses to get runs in. Lord knows sometimes it just doesn't seem possible to make it all work.

Nancy said...

oooooooooooooo, great idea. I am going to have to think of a sneaking it in run. I hope it was awesome and fun. My car is the "Big Girl Car" :D

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

No names for my cars--but I like the idea. No wonder you fit your runs in --you also take the time to name your cars. Hope your running is going well Andria. All runs and all fitness are good runs. Take care.