Friday, November 23, 2007

Turkey day running.

I put the bird in the oven and went out for my run. I didn't have much time for the run so it was just a short one, but what a difference it makes! I could deal with my in-laws much easier after a good run. LOL!

I lowered my milage for the past few weeks (hence the relatively few posts) because after a long run a few weeks ago I felt some wierdness in my knees. Nothing serious, but I know my body and my knees were just needing a break. But, yesterday the knees felt great so I'm ready to pick the pace back up. Hopefully I'll keep up with the cross-training now that I'll be running more. I'm sure that has helped.

I think I'm just a nervous-Nelly and I don't want to work my body so hard that I do Disney and then don't run again. That's not my intention and so I want to make sure I put forth the effort and still have energy left to run after January.

I do think that with less than two months to Disney I may just suck it up and go to the gym and use the treadmill for a few runs a week to keep the knees happy. Plus, all of my speedwork has been close to the house on the pavement, so I may start going back to the track to use the more knee-friendly surface. It's just so boring running in circles.

Okay, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. As much as I don't want to be at work right now, I know I don't have to cook for another few days with all the leftovers we have, so I guess I'm happy. Haha!

6 comments:

Marcy said...

Girl you're so dedicated! If I was cooking Thanksgiving dinner there would be NO way I'd be running :P (although a lot of that is due to the fact that someone needs to be around in case of fire. Yes I'm THAT bad as a cook LOL)

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope it all went well - including the short run. Keep stretching, ibuprofen-ing, and drinking (water :}) to keep those knees happy for the big day!

Stuart said...

Give your knees a break with some cycling/swimming they're love you for it and it'll help even out your unbalanced muscle development that runners develop. Of course a good snooze after the turkey won't go amiss as well!

Jamie said...

Way to get out there before the turkey dinner. I too got out for a run (even though I wasn't cooking!) and it made the rest of the day much easier to handle. Take care of yourself and follow everything Amy said :)

Nancy said...

Glad to hear you took it easy on the knees and they are doing better!! Good to hear from you. I know, I have been MIA too. Need to get back to posting, it helps me with the running :D

Less than 2 months. WOW!!

Bill Carter said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving! It is a very odd thing that the knee can be such a rate limiting factor.. I know that it is for me. There is nothing wrong with you taking a few easy days as long as you are getting in those long runs. That is what will make your Disney experience so great. I know everybody hates the treadmill, but I do probably 80% of my running on a treadmill and I credit that for my relative lack of injuries (and yes I am knocking on the wooden desk as I type this).
Keep up the great training you've done and Disney will be amazing.