Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My new water boy

Just kidding. He's not new. Haha! I had an eight mile run on Sunday and it was awesome. I always wish I posted right after the run so I can get my excitement across, but the computer is in the office and I didn't want to come in on Labor Day. Kind of defeats the purpose of the holiday don't you think?

Anyway, I decided to run on the road since last week's 7 miles at the track was incredibly boring. Plus, when you have to count laps it really makes the distance seem so much longer. I don't live in a really big town, so I kind of had to run from my house to the end of town and then back and then go the other direction to the other end of town.

I was dreaming about running when I woke up and it was more of a nightmare. I was dreaming that I was running past a field, a field that I run by on my 3-mile route. The farmer was mowing the grass, but it was really tall and bright green and it was flying everywhere. I was breathing it in while I ran and had to stop because I was choking on it. I was coughing up the grass and I blew my nose and huge clods of grass came out of my nose. That is when I woke up. Needless, to say, the idea of a run right then was not sounding like fun.

But, I got up had some water and a power bar. The night before, my hubby (the new water boy) said to wake him up when I left and he would find me on the run and bring me water. He usually works until about 3 in the morning, so 8am is not a real fun time of day for him. But, I got out on my run, ran out to Prairie - about 2.5 miles and turned around. About 45 minutes in, here comes my hubby and he brought my water, some powerade and a towel. I didn't even tell him to bring the towel! He asked if I wanted a ride back home or if I was going to keep going. I said I'd keep going and he said he'd find me in a little while with more water.

At five miles, I was going to be close to my house, so I said I'd swing by and get some water and take a gel. As I turned the corner to take me to my road I saw the water boy pull out of the road but turn in the opposite direction. I tried jumping up and down and waving my arms, but he didn't see me. That took quite a lot of energy, but I was close to home, so I just watched him drive away and knew he'd freak out a bit when he didn't find me.

I got home and found my gel. I've read not so great things taste-wise about the gels, and so I wasn't looking forward to trying it. I opened the crazy package of vanilla gel and it wasn't nearly as gross as I thought it would be. I think I had psyched myself up so much thinking that it was going to be really gross, that it couldn't have been as bad as I was imagining. It tasted kind of like vanilla frosting, but kind of greasy feeling. Wierd.

Since I was in the house the thought crept in that I could just say enough for today. But, since I already ate the gel stopping wasn't going to happen. I would have taken it for nothing. So I hit the road again and did the last three miles, complete with another visit from the water boy.

I'm going to get some kind of hydration system, but I kind of liked having a delivery man. If you know my hubby, it's a very un-him thing to do to wake up early on a Sunday to hunt me down and bring me water. It was kind of nice. I could get use to that kind of service.

The great part of the run though, was that I didn't feel like I had been run over by a train at the end of it and I could actually function later on in the day. That is a good sign! I was so excited after the run. The shoes were great. The weather was awesome. This is why we run. Sometimes we have crappy or average runs, but it's days like Sunday where things were just right. That's we need to remember.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andria, congratualtions on a great run. It is definitely nce when you can log a good run in the books. Give your husband a pat on the back for me, it is great to have a support system. You both did well that day.

Andria said...

It was nice to have him on my run, plus it made it less boring.

Nancy said...

Awesome hubby!! Yeah.

I am looking forward to a run that feels like this again. Glad you got to experience it.

FYI, I like Camelback flashflo for hydration.

Andria said...

I like that. It's cute and not as dorky looking as some I've looked at. Not that looking like a dork really bothers me... :) Thanks for the tip.

A 0-miler said...

Wow, I am so proud of Hubby! That is not like him on a Sunday morning or any morning. But, he must be as proud of you as we are. Reading the blogs ALMOST makes me want to run - more than running with the dog past houses with other dogs...