Monday, September 17, 2007

It begins...

Today starts the official 17 weeks of training to get to Disney. As I laid in bed this morning thinking about it, I admit I started freaking out a bit. When I tell non-runners (which at this point I no longer consider myself) about the marathon there are so many responses. One kid (a salesman at a store where I bought some power bars) said, "oh, you shouldn't do that. It's so bad for you." Uh, what? I mean, I know all the pounding is not the most pleasant thing on your bones and joints, but to try and discourage a perfect stranger from doing something they've dreamed of for so long, that's just... I don't even know? Cruel? An indication of why there are so many health problems in the world? ( Also, he was like, "my doctor told me I shouldn't do it." Um, I've consulted a Doctor (http://marathondudebill.blogspot.com/) and he thinks running a marathon is great fun!)

So I thought of that punk this morning.

I was talking to my hubby's sister yesterday and she was like "how long is a marathon?" When I told her, she just started laughing. "You are going to run all that?" Ugh! What is wrong with people?

But then there are those who are encouraging, like all of you who are reading this. My mom and my oldest sister are loving it because they have a pretty good excuse to go to Disney. They say, "that's the last thing that we would think of doing, but if you want to do it, then do it." Do they know me or what? My family knows I've wanted to do this for a long time, so they are all supporting me.

So, thinking that today is day one of Countdown to Disney (woohoo!!!) I set out this morning still freaking out a bit. It wouldn't be normal if I didn't freak out a little bit. 26.2 miles is not something to take lightly. The run was great. I was well rested and it wasn't crazy hot like it has been (or freakishly cold like it was on Saturday). I'm really excited about what the next 17 weeks will bring. I try not to think of the 26.2 miles at the end, but just what I need to do today (thanks Nancy). I keep reading other's blogs about their last few long runs or starting their tapers ( http://www.breakingthetape.com/just-one-more-mile/ , http://mynicknameisbooger.blogspot.com/ ) and I can't even imagine getting to that point yet, but reading their stories makes me realize it's not an unachievable goal. It's just a matter of proper training and building up. It'll be fun and tiring. I know it'll be frustrating at times, rewarding at times and may make me question my sanity. But, it's on! Let's get running.

11 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks for the shout out!! It's true, You aren't doing this tomorrow. You will build up to it and be ready.

I hate it when people are discouraging. I get it alot, especially when experiencing any problems. The physical and mental health benefits are gonna waaaay be good for you!!

Hope you can ENJOY your training and delight in what you body can do. We will be here cheering!!

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Andria, You're in for a treat!

Not every step of your training will be comfortable, motivating, or even clear why you're doing it. But the entire experience will be one you'll never forget and your body will amaze yourself with what you can do.

Don't forget your blogging running friends. We'll all enjoy following your progress and support you along the way!

Fire up!

Ali said...

Thanks Andria!

You are going to do great. I can't wait to read all about it over the next 17 weeks.

Don't get worried about long runs. They are about getting your legs used to mileage not speed. Take them one mile at a time and you'll love it!

RunToTheFinish said...

It's true, those who don't run are either in awe or completely dumbfounded at the idea...but you know what either way they are missing out on one heck of an experience.

Marcy said...

ITA with Nancy! As time goes on you'll get more and more confidence in your ability to run the whole thing.

You're going to do wonderfully!! ;D ;D Don't listen to anyone else. You CAN do it! Here's to the next 17 weeks!!

Steve over Joe? Man I don't know. I think I'd have to go for Mailbox LOL

Bill Carter said...

Andria
I don't mean this to sound patronizing, but I am so proud of what you are doing. People will always try to disuade you from such a wonderful accomplishment like the marathon because they don't understand it or are envious that you have decided to try and shoot for the stars. Do not let anybody stop you. I promise you that when you cross that finish line you will feel something that you have never felt in your life. OK, i'm getting the chills even thinking about how I feel when I finish a marathon... There are a lot of really cool people that we blog with who have much more experience than I who will tell you the same thing. As I have said before, you are way, way ahead of where I was before I did my first....and it didn't kill me and I have done 11 more. I would say I'm hooked. I know you don't need it, but if you need any info or advice I would be more than happy to help you.
Wishing you the best,
Bill

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

I wanna' go! If you don't mind, I am going to live through you for your training and your marathon - I am so excited for you!

Dave Fleet said...

Don't listen to anyone who tries to talk you out of it who hasn't run a marathon themselves - without experiencing it, they don't know what they're talking about.

Finishing a marathon is an amazing feeling - you'll know then that it was all worth it!

Looking forward to following your training for the next 17 weeks!

Dave

Pokey said...

Cant wait to ride along with you for the next 17 weeks!

Jamie said...

A shout out - Thanks! Don't worry, it seems so daunting at first but the training time flies by. And there will always be discouraging people (my sister is one) and it is frustrating and hard to remember why you signed up for this crazy race. Just remember why you want to do this and you will always have us bloggers to talk to when things get tough!

Unknown said...

We are in the same boat I am training for an April marathon and it is my first!!! I would love to see your training schedule