Friday, September 21, 2007

Now my neighbors may think I'm crazy...

That's if they were paying attention. See, I missed my quarter mile repeats due to a stinkin storm on Wednesday and so I did a regular run on Thursday morning. It was my hubby's day to drive the carpool, so I also got a nice walk home from work. As I was walking I was thinking that would be a nice warm up to some speed work, so as soon as I got home I changed and did some sprints around the neighborhood. So, the neighbors would have seen me going by their house at least three times yesterday in three different outfits and my face in varying shades of red.

I ran as fast as I could for two minutes or to the next block and then stretched and then sprinted again. Not the quarter mile repeats, but it was actually really fun. I just ran as fast as I could. Kind of made me feel like a little kid running from the boogey man. Haha.

What was kind of cool was that I ran past the elementary school that is near my house. One of my nephews is 8 and he is a master soccer player already. It's in his blood. Two of his uncles are amazing players (my Dear Hubby would be if he hadn't broken his leg when he was 17). One of his great-great uncles played on a professional soccer team in El Salvador (where it's called futbol). So, as I walked past the school and it's playing fields I saw that my nephew was at practice. He can run all day and only eat a ring pop and never get tired. Granted there is about a 23 year age difference between the two of us but he was some fun inspiration to keep sprinting. Oh, and he is also coming to Disney with us, so he's another member of my team!

8 comments:

Bill Carter said...

There really is something about running fast. If you watch how children run, it is this kind of free flowing motion that looks much more natural than what we "runners" do. If we could somehow emulate this (and of course we can't because we're old), it would really help us with our form. Keep up with the speedy stuff because it will payoff for you when its race day. Just be careful. From what I have read, more people get hurt doing speedwork than all the other kinds of training combined....but it sure is fun to go fast.

Keep up the great work!
Bill

Nancy said...

Yeah, for neighborhood sprints. Our neighborhood is a big circle. 10 or so houses in the middle and several around the outside. It is exactly 1/4 mile around so I use it for warm up, cool down. Will have to try the sprints. Every day last year, rain or shine, the local quarterback who lives in our neighborhood did these sprints. I always marveled at his dedication. That's probably what the neighbor's are saying about you, "that girl is dedicated!"

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! You sound like me (sort of LOL) My belt only carries so much water so I'll stick extra bottles on the steps in front of our door. Every couple of miles I run out and then head back down our street (it's a dead end) to grab another bottle. My neighbors are always like "You're not done yet? I thought you were going home" LOL

TNTcoach Ken said...

That’s why I love to run in the streets. It reminds me of being a kid and your parents warned you about playing in the streets. Who needs a track when you have the streets?

RunToTheFinish said...

I'm totally laughing right now because my finance loves watching who comes by in the neighborhood, he would have been so fascinated with your sprints!! I wonder every morning when people see me walking or running by the same place about the same time if they are thinking something like, tell that girl to take a break, or what the hell she doesn't have a car. :)

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Let's see how many weeks of your various/changing running routine before one of them comes out and starts asking you questions. At least you gave them something new to talk about this weekend.

Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com

zanne said...

hey - this is so gonna sound like i'm a stalker ... saw your comment on amanda's blog/post about her charles river run & that you went to BU. so did i ... also lived in the student slums of allston for a while ... just wanted to pop by & check out your blog ... good luck on this training for your first marathon! i'll have to read some past posts to catch up a bit. man, i wish you could get paid for reading blogs, cause i'd be rolling in it.

that speedwork works wonders ...

Andria said...

Haha! It would be nice to get paid to read blogs. Sad that we don't, but I'll still read them anyway!