Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Slow crappy short run

Yesterday's run was everything the title says it was. Slow (38.10 compared to my fastest of 33:20 for the same route), crappy (wrong shorts, wrong shirt, wrong bra, wrong scrunchie, didn't drink enough water during the day, ate the wrong lunch, didn't stretch enough after my cross training on Monday so my muscles were all tight, no cute water boy bringing me towels in an air conditioned FJ, 93 degrees out) and short (my 3-mile route).

I was disappointed when I just felt crappy during my run - so many things were off! But then I got thinking about it and had to laugh. As much of a let down as the run was, it was my "easy" run. A month ago I would not have thought of a three mile run as easy. That would have been my long run and even on a good day it would have been difficult. So, I guess I can't let myself get upset.

One thing I can let myself get upset over is my new pair of socks. When I bought the new shoes I bought the fancy socks. I figured my feet were worth it and so I splurged. The first run in them was good. Didn't think too much about them, which is a good sign. Then on my long run this weekend I wore them only the second time. When I got done and took my sneaks off, there was a hole in the sock. I had cut my toenails on Saturday (the day before the run), so my nails weren't long. I was quite bummed. I'm going to send the socks back to the company - when you spend $10 for one pair of socks you'd think they would hold up better. ARGH! I had toyed with the idea of just sending them back without washing them because I was so upset, but then I calmed down and realized how gross that would be for the poor person who opened the package. I just can't be that mean or unhygenic.

Then I wondered, since my nails were not that long, is that an indication that my shoes may be too small? The shoes don't feel to small, but rubbing a hole in a brand new pair of socks... just made me wonder.

5 comments:

Bill Carter said...

Andria

You know not one run does a runner make...or something like that. You have made tremendous progress and you are at the point where you will have elevated expectations and that is a great thing. You also know (at least subconsciously) that all of us have good days and bad days. It could be any number of things that made it lousy, But yeah it sucked and its time to move on.
By the way, send those stinkin' socks back. They should give you a little something extra for your trouble.

Best of luck,
Bill

Nancy said...

Hi!! Thanks for coming by. I loved this post and the fact that you came around to how hard 3 miles used to be!! You are making great strides, isn't it fun?? I love the "you ran HOW far?" comments, they always make me feel like I have made such progress.

One of my friends always says, each run tells us something. Sounds like you figured it out!! I also have decided that I have to prepare for short runs just as I do long ones, and not get too cavalier about the short ones or they can still be crappy.

Great work.

Andria said...

True Nancy. I made sure to drink lots of water the day before the long run and generally prepared better. I think that's why my short run was bad. I didn't prepare for it. Got too comfortable with it, but yes, I definitely need to prepare for that the same as a long run. Hopefully it's a lesson I'll remember.

Running Ragged said...

If your toes don't hurt then I don't think your shoe is too small. The sock might have been defective, which sucks, but it does happen. Good show of character to wash them first before sending them back! lol

Even a crappy 3 miler is better than a lazy 0 miler! Keep up the good work.

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Great job on a crappy 3 miler. :} Isn't amazing how it is such a matter of perspective for our runs.

Hope you find just the right pair of socks. I have a similar issue with a new pair, but threw away everything and don't know where to start to complain.

Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com