Friday, September 28, 2007

Was that the football team? I like to think so.

Unfortunately my little blading buddy was nowhere to be found when we were supposed to roller blade so I went by myself. I guess a six year old can't really make plans that far in advance since, you know, if his mom has to go grocery shopping or something he can't really say "No, Mom, I have to go rollerblading with the neighbor lady." I was sad, but I know I'll catch him sometime this weekend. Plus, I got to practice so that when I do go with him I'll look like an expert (yeah, right!)

Last night was my quarter-mile repeats. I decided to hit the track to do them rather than run around my neighborhood again. I wanted to give my legs a break from all the concrete and get onto a nice cushy surface. So, I went to the football stadium at the University.

Normally there are just other runners at the track. However, when I showed up last night there was a bunch of little kids (okay, maybe they were junior high... I feel like an old lady calling them little kids!) playing keep away in the middle of the track. They may have been leftovers from the jr. high football team practice, but who knows.

So, I did my warm up and then started doing my repeats. I almost got hit by a stray Nerf ball, but I felt like one kid stuck up for me when he shouted at his buddy "hey, there's a person there!" Kids. Fun!

So I did four repeats and felt like I wanted to walk a lap and catch my breath. As I got around the first turn I saw on the other side of the field all these dudes entering the area. The only people at the track up to this point were me and the punks, I mean kids. I was the only runner. So when I see all these guys coming on to the track I think, um, yeah, I'm not so much wanting to run anymore.

I was trying to figure out who they were. They were definitely some team at the university becuase they were also young. They weren't fast enough to be the cross country team and they weren't thin enough to be the soccer team. So, I convinced myself they were the school's football team doing a run after practice. I mean, they were burly with big calf muscles, so I'm pretty sure they were the football team. I didn't sign up to run with them, and there were at least 30 of them. Too much testosterone at the track for me.

The repeats that I did get done were good. I think my goal for the marathon is going to be to complete it in 4:30ish. I at first wanted just to finish, but I think a time goal will make my training that much better, so 4:30 it is. I think it's doable based on what I run now. Wow, I better get moving!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh too bad about your little buddy. If he's anything like my little guys, he probably remembered about bed time. But Moooom, I PROMISED... hee hee

I got myself tangled up in a xcountry team once. I was SO embarrassed.

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO!! You sound just like me, except I would NOT have stayed. You're so much braver than I.

Bill Carter said...

I think it is so cool that you went to the track to do your repeats. I know it is a little tougher, but darn if it doesn't make you feel like a real runner. Every now and then when I am down in the dumps about a lousy run, I go to the track to feel SUPER FAST. Oops, I just said that out loud in this kind of geeky voice, but oh well.

I am glad that you gave yourself a time goal for the marathon. I think it is really important to do this because it will give you a framework for all of your training. McMillan has some excellent stuff and there is a link on my blog. I am happy for you and have great respect for your dedication. Don't even think about turning back Andria... we would never let you. I promise you that when you cross that line at Disney it will change you forever.

Andria said...

Thanks for the encouragement. It seems like the countdown is going fast - almost below 100! Yikes. I have wanted to do a marathon for a long time. I get more and more excited each day and you all make it easier to deal with the stress of convincing myself this is a good idea! Haha!

Pokey said...

I'm with Marcy - I would have bailed outta there so fast! I cant stand people watching me run., LOL!