Tuesday, September 25, 2007

To the soccer fields!

That's where I ran to on my Sunday run. Hubby wanted to go watch a soccer game (his team's in the playoffs - next week is the finals) and I wanted to go running. So, why not run to the soccer fields and ride home after the game? The fields are clear on the other side of town so I thought that would be great for my long run. Turns out the other side of town is 7 miles away. Seven. Miles. What the heck am I going to do when it gets time to run 20 miles? I'm going to have to run to Walmart and back and then to Walmart again and back again! UGH! I can see that getting boring fairly quickly.

The run to the fields were good except I ran with a water belt on. See, my hubby can't resist clearance items and when I was unpacking a box the other day I found a water belt/fanny pack thing. He had bought it I don't know how long ago (at least a year and a half by my reckoning) and I found it just when I needed it. Random, I know. So, looks like my water boy came through again.

Anyway, the thing was pretty darn uncomfortable, but I'll look in to getting a better one down the road at some point. It served it's purpose. It was strange how heavy it was and it was more comfortable to run with it at the front and not on the back, less bouncing. But I figure, if I get used to running with it on and it adds weight to my run, once I get to Disney and I don't have one on I'll feel much more fleet of foot. I'll take what I can.

It was fairly dark this morning at the time I normally leave the house on the weekday runs so I decided to wait until after work to run. I'm psyched for the run (no water to be weighing me down, yeah!) but I just didn't want to go in the dark.

7 comments:

Marcy said...

LMAO DH sounds like me. I NNNNNEEEEEDDDD to buy things if they're on sale. "Look at how much money I'm saving us by spending it!" :P Hey, but he totally knew you'd need that pack one day ;-)

Bill Carter said...

Oh, I hate carrying water bottles. I have a Brooks bottle that is designed to be worn in back and has kind of a cool side holster thing. It was absolutely, positively guaranteed to be bounce proof (whatever that is), but it bounces all over the place. Actually, if I tighten it to the point where it starts to sink below my skin, it only moves a moderate amount. Of course at that point I can't breathe and have to stop running so I guess that kind of defeats the purpose. One of the cool things about the marathon is the aid stations. They are going to make you feel like a rock star as they treat you to H20, carb drinks, sponges, gels, etc. Your going to love that race and I promise you it will be so much better than any training run.
Congrats on the good one and nice of your hubby to think about you and your running.

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Keep the water boy as long as you can! :}

You will be amazed on how you fit in the 12, 15, 20 mile runs and what interesting courses you can find.

Thanks for the support!

Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com

RunToTheFinish said...

So they just did a bunch of studies that soccer burns more calories than running...maybe running on a soccer field counts for that!!

I totally hate water belts, can't do em.

Nancy said...

Maybe you will have to run the perimeter of the entire town? Or even into the country?? I ran at my old home town and was amazed how much of the town I covered in 4 miles!! I was so glad that isn't my normal training ground.

Good job on the run! You will get used to the belt. I make it pretty tight to avoid the bouncing around. Good luck!

Jamie said...

Water belts are the worst! I found the amphipod belt works better than others but still bounces. It is annoying.

Check out the usatf.org/routes for some new ideas on where to run. You figure it out!

Andria said...

Thanks for the tips on the water and the routes. I think I'll have to make a big loop around the whole town twice to get my high distances, but that will just make the marathon more interesting.