Thursday, October 18, 2007

5 dollars saved

It was raining the whole day yesterday and I almost broke down and went to the gym to use the treadmill. I had called and found out I could use the gym for $5.00 a day if I'm not a member. Happily when I left work the sky was clearing. I had checked the radar and found that there would be a bit of a break in the rain so I dashed home and got out there while I could. I was a bit pressed for time since I had a meeting to go to. I did my 5k circle (which I'm getting a little sick of, btw) and got back before the rain started again.

The run was great! It was about 60 degrees and perfect. It was a bit windy, but this is Kansas so I really need to expect the wind. (That makes me think of that line from Monty Python "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition." Okay, I'm a nerd.) I think that's a big factor of why I rarely use my ipod on my runs, there's so much wind in the ears (no, unfortunately not due to my speed) that it is kind of annoying to have both making so much rukus!

What was a pain though was that I've grown accustomed to running on the road for the asphalt, but yesterday there was so much water on the sides of the road I had to keep to the sidewalks. What a difference the concrete makes. Yuk!

On a whiny note, I've now read three BRFs who have their bracelets from Runners Lounge. I'm so sad since I don't have mine yet. Booo! I'm patient most of the time, but I'm excited to declare my runnerness in a cool blue rubber band. I know it's coming... I'll just have to stop waiting for it. It's like the watched pot that doesn't boil. *Sigh*

9 comments:

Nancy said...

This gloomy rain and wind is driving me insane. Or perhaps it's the taper? Or the fact that my throat is all congested. I thought I was immune from the taper mania but I think I might be succumbing.

You might want to drop Amy and email. She said it was possible that she might have missed one. Or, I have an extra I can send you. :D

Andria said...

If I've learned one thing from our BRFs is that everyone succumbs to taper mania! Haha!

Amanda said...

It's great to have that $5 back up plan. NC is so dry and there's no rain in sight. I would love to run in rain just once before winter.

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Andria,

We think we know the reason for the delay. We're hopeful you receive the bracelets today or tomorrow.

You have a new special place in my heart because whenever I use that line, "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition," it's lost on others. Now I have a friend to enjoy the MP humor with.

Amy and I insist you contact us if you don't receive your bracelets by tomorrow.

Take care.

Tom

Marcy said...

This sentence "but this is Kansas so I really need to expect the wind." reminds me of the Wizard of Oz for some reason LOL

$5 a day is pretty sweet!! Dang I should probably look into something like that.

zanne said...

so glad the weather broke for you & you didn't have to use the treadmill!

i've been using my ipod less & less lately ... seems that sometimes the tunes, mixed with all the thoughts in my head makes for a crowded place in there!

Pokey said...

Ewww, concrete! It does make such a difference!

Glad you got some good weather for your run.

I need to get me one of those trendy bracelets! :P

Bill Carter said...

You didn't admit it in my blog, but I'll bet you do stand by the mailbox the night before waiting for the next issue of Runner's World. Got ya. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you got a run in.. and yes the sidewalk is designed for walking and can be hazardous for runners.

I hope your not jealous, but I received my "I am a Runner." bracelet and it is proudly being displayed on my right wrist. Envious?? (I'm just teasing you Andria.)

Andria said...

Bill, you stink! Just kidding. I'm totally jealous, but the anticipation is just as fun... Kind of like waiting for Runner's World. Haha!