Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Still here...

I'm still here. I just haven't had a chance to write in a few days. The computer is in the office and I had the holiday off and now I'm trying to catch up!

After reading about my BRFs experience in Chicago it reminds me that this is not a small goal. I mean, you get used to people's reactions when you tell them you want to run a marathon, but I have got to where it's like, yep 26.2 miles. No biggie... Uh, well it's a biggie. I have to remember that its not just follow the plan and do all the required runs and you'll breeze through it no problem. Who would have thought it would be in the 90's in Chicago in October? What makes me think Florida in January will be better? We could be freezing or sweltering... How do you prepare for that? I just hope all of those who ran Chicago don't get discouraged. It's a big goal to run a marathon and you should still do it if it didn't happen this time.

I've been running, doing a lot of walking, and blading with my little buddy, though I think he's had enough. He prefers his scooter. So sad!

Really what interests me are shoes. I'm planning on Adidas or Asics for my next pair. Since I now know I'm a pronater I can look at the right shoes. Over the weekend my hubby and I were walking around the big downtown shopping area of our little town and we went in to a shoe store. They had a ton of asics and so I looked at a lot. When I told the guy I was training for a marathon he showed me a pair of these: http://www.spirafootwear.com/ Have any of you seen these things? I was feeling the different asics and a few other brands and I was like "oh, these would be heavy after 10 miles" and so the guy handed me these. They have thick metal springs in them and they weigh about a ton. The salesguy was telling me that a lot of races don't allow them and if you do wear them and you win you won't be allowed to be the "official" winner (he said that's true for Boston). I'm telling you these things were heavy! Even if they could make you faster I would not want to run around with ten pound weights on my feet!

I didn't get any shoes yet, but I will be getting some soon. If you see me trying to get spiras remind me not to.

6 comments:

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO, I laugh because the site says they're "light". I've seen ads for them in RW but didn't know what they were. That's a little too nuts for me. Did you run in them? Did you feel the energy bounce back? :P

Nancy said...

I'm just about to do the shoe tango myself.

I've been so amazed by the blogger friends out there who attempted Chicago. Bloggers must be really positive people, because I am seeing their spirits rise up. I'm sure not everyone is this way, but I think bloggers are basically so supportive and positive.

RunToTheFinish said...

I have seen something about the springs not being allowed...I have chance at winning though, so have never really considered it! I overpronate a little and have found I love Brooks shoes and Mizuno's which have a ton of cushion. OH I love new shoes...

Andria said...

I didn't try a pair on since they were so heavy, but maybe when I do go back to buy shoes I'll try a pair on just for fun.

Jamie said...

Love new shoes! Try on those spring shoes but definitely do not buy them!!!

As far as your marathon. The number 1 thing I learned is to listen to your body. You do that you will finish with no problem :)

Amanda said...

I've never seen those shoes before. Sounds like training with weights on your feet! Can you really feel the springs?