Thursday, October 4, 2007

Unhappy feet

If you recall at the beginning of my blog I was so in love with my sweet Puma sneaks, and I blogged about them at least 4 times I think. I got them at the really fun running store and felt like a kid again! Well, as I put them on yesterday getting ready for my run, I see they just look worn. I was pretty bummed. There's a place near the laces where it's starting to fray.

Now, I know pretty shoes won't stay pretty for long, but these really look like I've gone a lot further in them than I have. I think they aren't really as cushy as they were in the beginning - of course not - but it feels like they wore out faster than they should. I don't run every day, so they get time to sponge back up (great English, I know).

I guess I just expected them to be "better" than previous shoes that I hadn't made such a big deal about. I've put about 50ish miles on these bad boys and they look in worse shape than a pair of adidas that I've had for forever and had put way more miles on (prior to getting fitted properly).

I know I need to get a second pair. I'm waiting to have the money to spend on another pair, but I won't be buying the same ones. I've been told by quite a few people that their asics are pretty indestructable so I may look in to those. I do always love adidas though (the running store I went to for the last shoes didn't carry adidas). Bummer. I still want to be in love with my sneaks, but I'm not.

But, on to better things.

About two minutes after I got home from work yesterday there was banging on my door. You all know who it was by now. NK was ready and asked if I was ready to go roller blading now. I said, "I'm sorry, but I have to run today." His response: "Why do you have to run today, it's not Sunday!" Kids remember everything. I had told him I wouldn't blade on Sundays because that was my long run day. Then yesterday he said "remind me what a marathon is again." I said 26.2 miles and he yells out "are you crazy!" I don't mind responses like that from 7 year olds.

So, leaving my sad little buddy behind I went out for my run. I was scheduled to do speed work, but since I missed the long run last weekend I wanted to log some more miles. I've really not been sticking to the plan I have, but I have been getting all the elements in, just not neccesarily on the right days.

I did my three miles and was walking the cooldown back to my house. NK2 (NK's older brother) was walking down the street and was like "why are you so red?" Haha! Um, I just ran 3 miles. He was impressed! I guess that seems long to a 13 year old.

Anyway, it was a good run. Much better than the previous night. Today is hubby's day to drive the carpool so I get to walk home from work. That usually gets me wanting to do my sprints so it should be a good night.

6 comments:

Bill Carter said...

I've got to tell you that the Asics are pretty much indestructable. I try to get about 400 miles on each pair, but even than the shoes themselves are not in bad shape.. I just wear holes in the toes:-( They are still kind of great bum around shoes and I usually have about 3 pairs laying around. They have so many different varieties that you will certainly find something you like. They are also pretty reasonably priced.
One thought I had about your training right now... It is early in your training and I think the important thing is to not get burned out or peak to early. Take your time on this one and you will be in great shape on 1/13/08.

Andria said...

Thanks. I sometimes think I'm not running enough (especially now since it's 100 days!) but then I remind myself that I have to be patient.

Thanks for reminding me :)

Jamie said...

I am an Asics girl have been ever since I had foot surgery 10 years ago. Love them!

And don't get discouraged about not getting specific runs done on specific days. Feel free to cater your schedule to your life. Don't do too much too soon - you don't want to burn yourself out.

zanne said...

only 50 miles? i'd take them back to the store. they shouldn't start to breakdown that soon. once you really start logging the big miles in preparation for that marathon, you will want take the financial plunge and get two pairs of shoes -2 different pairs ... i'm a huge adidas fan too - they are essentially, my long run shoes. i got a pair of mizunos for my second pair - good for anything under 10k - my speedy shoes. with 2 pairs, you'll get longer wear out of both of them & your legs and feet will thank you for the change.

Nancy said...

50 miles?? That's not right. What are you doing in them?? just kidding.

PT guy also told me, always two pair, always rotate, even if you are only a few day a week runner. Gives them even extra time and your feet a break. (essentially what Miss Zanne said). I haven't got the extra pair, but realistically, I probably need 2 pr cuz these are just about done.

I'd love to be in love with my sneaks, unfortunately my feet get in the way :D Good luck with this.

Amanda said...

Poor Pumas. I would think that they'd still be looking new at 50 miles.

Neighbor's Kid sounds like a lot of fun!