Friday, October 12, 2007

Toenails (no they're not black)

Has anyone else noticed that once you start running consistently your toenails grow like weeds? A side effect of running that I had not planned on. I mean really, I have to clip them like every five days whereas before it would be like every two weeks! Wierd.

Anyway, I was a pretty unhappy person last night when I got home from work for reasons that I won't go into. I am generally a pretty easygoing person and I rarely get mad (thank you Lord!) but last night I was so upset I felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest! What do you do in a situation like that? You go for a run of course!

So I went out more to get stress gone than to put on miles. I did a short run but ended up doing it pretty quickly and felt like I wanted to keep going. But I had things that I had to deal with so I stopped. Oh man, the running helped so much! People ask why we run, and my answer for today is that it helps me feel less likely to explode.

On another note, when I checked out the Toronto Runner's blog yesterday he talked about the worldwide half marathon . It's scheduled for this weekend and it's basically a way to know that you are running a half with people from all over the world. As of yesterday there were over 1100 people registered. They also have a "kick the couch 5k" which I thought was pretty neat. I signed up to do that. It's free and you don't get a t-shirt, but I like the idea of a global race. Cool.

Oh, and can any of you blogspot people tell me how I can make the words the link? For example, how could I make it so that where it says "worldwide half marathon" would be the link to the site instead of putting the link in separately? I'm so not a technology person. I can do some things, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Update: Thanks Nancy and Marcy. Your advice on fixing the link worked. Thanks for helping me to be a bit more computer literate!

12 comments:

Bill Carter said...

The toenail thing huh? It is actually so bad for me that I carry a couple extra pairs of clippers in both my work bag and my gym bag. I actually think that sometimes if I watch them for a couple of minutes I can see them growing!

Glad you ran off the stressful stuff. It really does work and has been known to be one of the most affective treatments for anxiety, depression, etc. It also works great as a way to get back at those days when nothing seems to go the way we want. Those times are actually when I have some of my best runs because the run isn't any sort of drudgery or something on the schedule that I just have to do... it is a relief to be able to find that rhythmn that is running.

I'm always glad to have you take the time to visit my site. You are very insightful and I always appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Amanda said...

I haven't noticed that my nails grow faster, but I think that I am going to lose a nail (gross, I know!).

Thanks for the link. I am going to register for the half marathon.

Nancy said...

I am doing my half that day. Well,hopefully, nerves are building.

Put the link in just like you did. Then go to the HTML tab to look at the actual code language. You will see the address twice. The first is the command to make it a link, the second is what the link is actually called. You can change that part, just make sure you keep all the symbols around it the same. :D

Marcy said...

Whhhhhooaaa Nancy that's too much work LOL ;-) Highlight the words "worldwide half marathon" and then click the link button (it looks like a little chain link with the earth) and insert the link when prompted :-)

Ali said...

I was going to answer the link question, but Marcy and Nancy beat me to it.

So, I'll have to talk about toe nails. I don't know if mine grow quicker, or I am just obsessed with trimming them and keeping them short.

Dave Fleet said...

You're so right about running when angry! That's when I do my best times! Maybe I should shoot for an argument before all my races... :)

I'm doing my 'worldwide half' tomorrow morning - if anyone's in Toronto and wants to come out for a jog (ok, fine, a run) - let me know via TorontoRunner.com!

Jamie said...

Exactly what Marcy said for the linking stuff :) And don't worry I just figured it out yesterday myself.

I haven't noticed the increase speed of toenail growth. I just lose my middle nails every race. yuck.

Running always takes care of the stressful stuff. Like Bill those are some of my best runs too.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Marcy knows her stuff. We are so fortunate to be able to have the de-stressing tool of running in our arsenal!

Andria said...

Oh wow! I'm so excited to try to put a link in now!!! Thanks guy. I love BRFs.

zanne said...

i love those runs ... running off all the anger & stress. always fast & satisfying!

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

I thought the toenail thing was just a weird me thing - glad to know it is not. I am convinced it is because I drink more water and eat more fruits/veges when I am running/training than not.

I have found it makes for a wonderful excuse to plurge on a pedicure and make them really pretty.

And for the running angry - I always go looking for something that pushes my buttons a few days before a race - just to give me a little more fuel in the tank.

Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com

Mike said...

Regarding HTML links in your blogs, if you would like the link to be "Runners Lounge", just use Runners Lounge. You do this under the Edit HTML tab of your blog post. Let me know if you have questions.

Mike
http://pursuitofrunningness.blogspot.com